Monday, November 8, 2010

So, Fenway was pretty cool!

Good Morning All!

     I got to experience the two extremes of Boston yesterday. I started out my day in Cambridge. Beautiful town, reminds me a lot of Georgetown. Little narrow roads lined with brick row houses. Here I happened upon the site where George Washington took command of the American Army in 1775, not the U.S. army (there wasn't a U.S. yet). Just another instance of a significant landmark that you come upon without much pomp but while you are there you can feel the gravity of what took place under your feet 250 years ago. I was standing under the same tree as Gen Washington, it's still there! Lot's of very smart looking people running around Harvard Square, I overheard a group of students having a rousing discussion about the correct formula to find some angle. If you were to substitute the math for football, you would have thought it was Dan and me talking. There is a definite hippie element that is very active among the people of Cambridge. One of the people I have chatted with since I've been here called it the "People's Republic of Cambridge". He had a bit of a point, I was welcomed into the square by Revolution Books, operated by The Revolutionary Communist Party. There are homeless as there are in all large towns, but one group got my attention. I was walking past the subway station and a there was a group to my left asking for change. There were 3 of them and they were all in their twenties and had BLUE HAIR. I can't but think if they would take a shower and not dye their hair blue they be able to get some kind of job, there were like 20 help wanted signs within a 10 minute walk of where they were chilling and smoking pot on the sidewalk. Grr,

From there I took the T to Fenway, another great neighborhood. Very blue collar working class folks. Much more my speed. I'll tell you, Fenway Park is AWESOME! They put on a great tour, my tour guide was fantastic. He was about 100 but boy was he enthusiastic. There was a group of sailors in our group from the Canadian Navy, he had a fun time with them :) For anyone interested, I want to plan a trip back during baseball season and see a game. After Fenway I went to the Boston Beer Works. Great burger, better beer. Decided after to walk back to the hotel and relax for a bit, then headed out to a bar that was playing some jazz and meet the coolest Aussies ever, Joel and Emma. If you have never drank with an Australian, I highly recommend it! I taught them about the Waffle House All Star Special. They could not believe the amount of food for 6 bucks! They had to be on the train to NYC at 6 this morning! Good luck to them :) I finished up with some late night pizza, always good! Weather is getting a little hairy. Cold, sleet, and rain. Bleh, hopefully it clears up today.

On tap for today: Freedom Trail, JFK Museum and Sam Adams Brewery!

Until next time. .

-Mike

2 comments:

  1. You can pretty much count me in for the game at Fenway.....And I'm glad you are enjoying Boston. It really is a great town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome trip. You should meet up with the Aussies in NYC. Wish I could join. Loved the picture of the purse. :-)

    ReplyDelete