Sunday, November 7, 2010

Boston Day 1: WTF is up with the roads!

So I promised myself that I would blog on here each day of my trip, didn't get to it last night so I"ll throw something up today in the ever popular and supremely lazy list form :D

Things I learned today (In chronological order (sorta))

1. TIA is the greatest airport God gave man!
      The more airports I go to, the more I appreciate ours. As we are landing the lady sitting next to me described Logan as an, "unholy nightmare." That's probably not good.

2. Boston's subway system is. . . interesting.
     When I arrived the only place I knew how to get to was my hotel. Take the shuttle to the Blue Line. Blue Line to the Orange Line. Get off at Tufts. I complete steps 1 and 2 and get a couple stops down the line and the rest of the Blue Line is closed for construction. Ruh Roh! It all worked put though, they had shuttle buses running and a very nice MBTA worker got me pointed in the right direction.

3. Boston's road design in even more. . . interesting.
      I had been warned about this before I left but thought to myself, "It can't be that bad." In the words of Dan Sidwell, "OH BOY HOWDY!" I found this out right off the bat. The shuttle that was taking me to my connecting train traveled north for a pretty good while, then we made a left hand turn, on to a road whose only purpose was to make a right hand turn. I can't even figure it out and I was there! The founding fathers were great at inventing Democracy but they sure dropped the ball on the whole city planning thing. I was at Boston Common, the main park in Boston, and wanted to got to Quincy Market. I was due west of the Market. Surely there is a road that traverses Boston from East to West. Nope! I had to take like 4 roads to get there and got lost twice.

4: There are lots of cheap, good eats in Boston
    Example: Sal's Pizza. It was soooo good and cost $4.50 a slice, but when you open it up the "slice" is like half a pizza that's been cut in 2 and you get both halves! Good game Sal's. I ate my lunch in the park and people watched.

5. Boston is Olde!
   I know this should go without saying, but when you see a grave marker from the 1670's that's olde! That kind of stuff is everywhere! You'll come across a little plaque on a building, "On this site in 1730, something cool happened."

6. Boston has awesome beer!
   Went to 3 different pubs/ bars yesterday and had 4 different micro brews and they were all outstanding!

7. Bostonians are epically proud to be Bostonians.
   Completely different from home, where everyone comes from somewhere else. Here, these people have lived here for generations and they are pumped about it! It's actually pretty nice. They are more than ready to share it with you, like I found out from the drunk guy at Rock Bottom, the roads are terrible because they just paved over the horse trails and figured that would be good enough. By the time they weren't good enough it was too late to do anything about it. At which point my new friend chugged his beer because, "the paaaty bus is gonna be heah in five and it gonna beah wickehd!" I could get used to it here :)

8. Last but not least.
   There is man in the greater Boston area ,who goes by Roach, who wanted me to know that Whiskey's had $1.99 slices and $.20 wings. It was apparently very important that I know that :). He bid me farewell by saying, "You dew it ahp big tanaght brahh!"

All in all, an outstanding first day in Boston. Today I'm gonna check out the JFK museum, Cambridge and Fenway! Until next time.

-Mike

   


2 comments:

  1. So glad you took this trip. You deserve it! Sounds like your first day was amazing and you learned a lot! Your blog was quite entertaining! Did not know you had dad's coin with you. I love that you have a small piece of him with you. Take a picture of the coin in some cool place. Papa is with you and having as much fun as you are.I love you and be safe. Look forward to your next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog. Keep us posted. Love that you're typing the way people talk.

    ReplyDelete